The minimalists creed
by The Maui Taoist
The minimalists creed:
- Find the essential
- Eliminate everything else
Taoists like things simple; consider this wisdom from the Tao Te Ching.
1. “In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple.”
2. “If you want to become full, let yourself be empty.”
3. “If you want to be given everything, give everything up.”
4. “If you realize that you have enough, you are truly rich.”
5. “When there is no desire, all things are at peace.”
6. “Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are.
When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.”
7. “In the pursuit of knowledge, every day something is added.
In the practice of the Tao, every day something is dropped.”
8. “The Master’s power is like this.
He lets all things come and go effortlessly, without desire.
He never expects results; thus he is never disappointed.
He is never disappointed; thus his spirit never grows old.”
9. “I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion.
These three are your greatest treasures.”
10. “The Master has no possessions.
The more he does for others, the happier he is.
The more he gives to others, the wealthier he is.”
I could go on, but ten quotes is more than enough. Why do people make everything so complicated? Even Qigong and Meditations, there is just no need for such contrivances. Beginner aspirants (less then ten years on the Way) all trying to open “gates” and “circulate energies through orbits ” they all seem so confused …they ask me… Do you open your joints?
None of my teachers have ever talked this way, just practice, breathe naturally, try meditating and doing qigong and Taiji for ten, fifteen, twenty thousand hours and then there are no “gates” there are no “joints” there is no body, no mind, and no “you.”
Qi flows through the meridians, we observe the workings of heaven, we are only responsible for being aware, that is all we do, we are “awareness.” Nature does everything else, just relax do not attempt to control the energy, have no resistance, that is all, without effort you will align with Heaven and Earth.
Embrace the One, return to the primordial
Dissolve into Tao
Just keep it simple… Just keep doing it… Practice everyday… simplify your life…
There are no short cuts, and no secret methods. Forget egocentric machinations, the great mother is always teaching us.
Shh……be still, and listen!